7 Things You Always Wondered About The Higgs boson
1.What is it?
The Higgs boson is the name of the particle that is the last missing piece of the puzzle in the Standard Model of physics, the model that explains pretty much how everything in the universe works — i.e. why things have mass and experience forces.
2.Why is it called the “God Particle”?
Nobel Laureate Leon Lederman (above) gave it the nickname because of its importance, and also because it’s kind of everywhere and nowhere at the same time? Some people really don’t like the name because it makes it seem like it actually has something to do with God.
3.Okay then who’s Higgs?
Peter Higgs is the physicist who proposed there was an energy field that occupied the whole universe and that gave particles their mass. This energy field is now called the Higgs field, made up of Higgs bosons. (Remember that thing they’re trying to find?)
4.What does it look like?
I don’t know! They haven’t found it yet. But maybe something like this.
5.How are they going to find it?
There’s this thing called the Large Hadron Collider, the largest and most powerful particle collider in the world, that is essentially a giant underground circular tunnel (about 17 miles.) Physicists use it to smash protons into each other, because when they collide there’s a very tiny flash of energy that sometimes contains a Higgs boson (one collision in a trillion.) Oh and it lasts for like a fraction of a second, that’s why it’s REALLY hard to find.
6.So, uh, why is it such a big deal?
If it exists, it “would be the greatest advance in knowledge of the universe in decades.” It will confirm that everything we’re comprised of has mass — without it, we’re all just massless, meaningless particles floating in space, or something.
7.Oh man! So did they find it?
They accidentally announced its discovery yesterday, but CERN (the place where all that particle colliding has been happening) made an official announcement this morning in Switzerland saying their latest experiments show “strong indications for the presence of a new particle”, which could be the Higgs boson. But maybe not.
(Source: BuzzFeed)559 notes
Posted on Thursday, 5 July
Tagged as: higgs boson science physics trivias
- magnimusiclover reblogged this from expose-the-light
- blehtrommel reblogged this from expose-the-light
- norinjae likes this
- doctorcommie reblogged this from expose-the-light
- photoshopfanatic reblogged this from s-cientia
- intellectualconsilience likes this
- listen-look-feel reblogged this from expose-the-light
- biognosis likes this
- neuronsandneutrons reblogged this from scinerds
- bobchik likes this
- hookedonebonics reblogged this from scinerds
- zainashakur likes this
- zainashakur reblogged this from loveisourweaponintheshadows
- loveisourweaponintheshadows reblogged this from expose-the-light
- basement-reject reblogged this from expose-the-light
- maliciastarling reblogged this from scinerds and added:
- mscarrots likes this
- c4i7l4nd likes this
- ubiquitouspursuit likes this
- nihlisticalchemist reblogged this from pinkturnip
- awewakemysoul likes this
- elisiane-k likes this
- my-little-mafia reblogged this from scinerds
- slowsii likes this
- bearded-drumfill reblogged this from jidfurikuri
- meisterj reblogged this from lazysmirk
- thekuskokronicles reblogged this from expose-the-light
- mtsof reblogged this from expose-the-light
- lucemajuce reblogged this from scinerds
- randomscientist reblogged this from realfakescientist
- awetterversionoftheskies reblogged this from theurbanpanda
- purelaine reblogged this from realfakescientist
- sikssaapo-p reblogged this from theurbanpanda
- sikssaapo-p likes this
- theurbanpanda reblogged this from doyayoda
- becausetheinternet likes this
- guesswhoitsnadia reblogged this from realfakescientist and added:
- doyayoda reblogged this from realfakescientist
- jidfurikuri reblogged this from realfakescientist
- jidfurikuri likes this
- cynicalidealism likes this
- mohandasgandhi likes this
- realfakescientist reblogged this from shedsumlight and added:
- corta-pega reblogged this from scinerds
- buttflowers likes this
- thesmithyofmysoul likes this
- heresyourfuture likes this
- curcurbita likes this
- jespresso reblogged this from bluresque
- ovendonegetdabun likes this